Let's talk about girls' mental health

Monday, August 24, 2015

Gif from Tumblr

Following last week's reports that girls in the UK are among the most unhappy in the world because of low self-esteem and body image issues (some of which I've battled with personally), Girlguiding UK released its report that almost half of British girls are seeking mental health help and are failing to find it. The research also shows that self harm is the number one health concern amongst girls and women aged 11-21. Mental illness, cyber bullying and depression followed closely behind.

Self-harm is something very unique to the female experience. When I was growing up, I read books and watched films like Girl, Interrupted, The Virgin Suicides, Speak and Thirteen and I would wonder how bad things would have to get before you could cut yourself.

I was 18 when I first cut. I'd just started college and I was heartbroken and confused. And I also thought that I knew better, but I would do it anyway. Because I'm smart, I thought, I would cut my inner thighs and stomach because I knew that no one would see.



My college roommate at the time encouraged me to see a therapist on campus. My therapist and my roommate were the only people who knew at the time.

I can't speak to growing up in the UK as I've spent the majority of my adult life here, but I imagine that there are a lot of similarities. I can say that I'm so glad to have someone in my life at the time who encouraged me to seek help and that my university had the faculty and the facilities to be able to accommodate me.

Girlguiding's research has shown that 82 per cent of young women feel largely under supported and worry that adults don't understand the pressures they face. Not much changes. Parents are more worried about drugs, alcohol, smoking and sex. Young women and girls are preoccupied with everyday sexism and harassment, which influences how they dress, act, and want to be perceived.

What's worrying is in high-pressure society that we've come to find ourselves in, reports have shown that mental health service budgets have been cut by 8 per cent this year and is 13 per cent of the total NHS budget. Especially because it has been widely reported that mental illness accounts for almost a quarter of the disease burden.

Let's challenge the stigma and talk about the issues that women and girls are constantly battling against. Let's teach our girls that they are enough as they are. Let's teach them that they are more than likes on an Instagram post or followers on Twitter. Let's talk to them about healthy, consensual sexual relationships as well as friendships, and that if someone is hurting them then they should be removed from their lives. Above all let's ask them how they are and listen.

No comments :

Post a Comment